March 01, 2006

Twee Twee Twee

After hearing the Polyphonic Spree song called "Light and Day/Reach for the Sun" in the movie Murderball this weekend, I went and read this review by Rob Mitchum at Pitchfork.com:

"The Polyphonic Spree never directly lift up their myriad voices for God (except in an ancient Egyptian Sun/Ra worship sense), yet I can't help but think of their 20+ members as the direct offspring of the Jesus Christ Superstar movie cast."

I'm not kidding you when I say this, I immediately bought both of their albums from ITunes without listening to another word, and I have been a very, very, very happy boy ever since. The music feels like sticking your head into a warm basket of freshly-dried clothes with a television tuned to a 1970's children's show buried at the bottom. Turns out there is a name for this delusional and cheery genre, "TWEE."

The name sounds like "twit" and "Tweedy Bird" mixed, and I probably deserve it. Oddly enough, I write this during the same week I published a grim, grim interview with crime writer, Steve Huff. I don't have a "thing" or an "attitude" that guides this blog, but I know you love swinging madly between the twee bar and the hardboiled bar on my mental trapeze, baby...

Continue Reading

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home