March 28, 2006

Stanislaw Lem Has Died

As I wrote over at ThePublishingSpot, Stanislaw Lem has died. Ever since I read his novel Fiasco, I fell in love with his Borges-laced blend of science fiction. Every story was lovingly crafted, and it seemed like Lem had created a new set of encyclopedias alongside his skinny books. The Andrei Tarkovsky version of Lem's Solaris was the slowest and most uncanny movie I ever loved, and the novel was even better.

Book Ninja collected all the obituaries about this amazing writer. I'll never forget the first few pages of Fiasco, where he sends us crashing along the surface of a moon inside a gigantic robot. For the first time since I was a little kid, I could imagine every detail of that moon and everything around me felt unexplored. He will be missed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home